Different Parenting Styles
Different Parenting Styles
Press the comma key or shift + question mark to see a list of keyboard shortcuts Manage Discussion
This is a graded discussion: 3 points possible
due Mar 28
Week 5 – Discussion 1
1 1 unread reply. 1 1 reply.
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated. Different Parenting Styles
Before completing this discussion, be sure to review Chapter in your text and the Changing Families (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. video. You may also want to read the recommended article, “Current Patterns of Parental Authority”. After examining the research in human development presented in your required resources, complete the following discussion:
Baumrind (1971) identified different styles of parenting.
Examine a parenting style and define it according to the dimensions of responsiveness and acceptance. Discuss the outcomes of the parenting style you selected with respect to child and adult development. How are the outcomes of the parenting style you selected similar or different from those of another parenting style?
Your initial post must be at least 300 words and use a minimum of one scholarly source located in the Ashford University Library or on Google Scholar that is cited and referenced according to APA style,
Pick one of the following scenarios:
- A 4-year-old child constantly refuses to eat the dinner that is provided.
- A 9-year-old child constantly talks back to authority figures, particularly her parents.
- A 7-year-old child constantly refuses to get out of bed in the morning and get ready for the day.
How would each of the four major parenting styles respond to the scenario? How would each of the parenting styles affect the cognitive and socioemotional development of the child in the chosen scenario? How could each of the parenting styles affect the relationship of the parent and child? Support your response with research. Different Parenting Styles
- Describe the person’s response to the dilemma Heinz faced.
- Identify the stage from Kohlberg’s theory of moral development that best fits with the interviewee’s responses.
- Justify your decision by being specific about what aspects of the interviewee’s description fit with the stage as defined by Kohlberg.
- Describe strengths of and challenges to Kohlberg’s theory by writing in your own words and paraphrasing and citing sources. Avoid copying and pasting from sources.
- Use both in-text citations and full references to cite your sources with APA (6th edition) style and formatting.Lawrence Kohlberg identified six stages of moral development that he later modified to five. He assessed people’s stage of development based on an ethical dilemma in a fictitious scenario that he calls “the Heinz dilemma.”In your studies this week, you read Coon and Mitterer’s discussion on the stages of development (pages 111–113).
You also read the article on the Heinz dilemma and viewed the video Kohlberg’s Stages of Moral Development on the Simply Psychology Web site.For this discussion, either search the Internet for another Heinz dilemma interview or conduct an interview of your own with a family member, friend, or co-worker. Then complete the following:
3. Different Parenting Styles
- Conditioning and Learning
- A sea lion at a zoo is trained to wave to a crowd of visitors. During training, the sea lion receives a fish each time she moves her flipper in a way that appears to be waving. The trainer also blows a whistle each time he gives the sea lion a fish. As the sea lion becomes more stable and advanced in her waves to the crowd, the trainer sometimes provides a fish and sometimes blows a whistle. There is no particular order or timing to when he provides a fish or blows the whistle. The trainer does not hit or yell at the sea lion as part of training.For this discussion: Different Parenting Styles
- Describe whether the trainer is using classical or operant conditioning, or both. In your description of the training, use the language of learning theory, with concepts such as unconditioned stimulus (US), conditioned stimulus (CS), unconditioned response (UCR), conditioned response (CR), positive reinforcement, negative reinforcement, and punishment.
- Identify the schedule of reinforcement the trainer is using (fixed ratio, variable ratio, fixed interval, variable interval). Defend your answer.
- Describe an example from your own learning, and using the language of learning theory, describe the type of learning.