Discussion 1 Socio-Emotional Development
Discussion 1 Socio-Emotional Development
Around the world, cultural customs and behaviors differ greatly, but no practice is more effective than another. Children’s lives are enriched by these cultural customs and behaviors, which also have an effect on group dynamics, child development, and all areas of thinking (such as decision-making). Thus, culture has an effect on all areas of psychology, including affective, behavioral, and cognitive areas.
You will investigate how culture affects a person’s socio-emotional development from birth in this discussion. Additionally, you’ll look at how cultural norms influence early development and how that affects adult results.
- Different cultural practices in childhood might relate to outcomes in adulthood. Consider one of the following aspects that you have experienced or you may know of an experience for this Discussion:
- child rearing practices
- emotional management
- peers and play
- This week’s Learning Resources provide you with different sources related to different cultural practices in childhood. From your readings, select a different culture other than your own to complete this Discussion post. Discussion 1 Socio-Emotional Development
By Day 3
Post an explanation of the similarities or differences between the cultural practice you directly experienced or that you are aware of from the perspective of socioemotional development and the practice you read about in your learning resources. Describe how diverse cultural practices about this practice during childhood might result in distinct or comparable effects during maturity.
(Note: There are certain practices that are extremely distinct from others, and experts debate whether or not there are any practices that are inherently damaging, unhealthy, or even unsafe.) No practice is typically more effective than another.
Note: Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources and identify current relevant literature to support your work. Discussion 1 Socio-Emotional Development
Topic 5 DQ 1
How do the many socioemotional changes of adolescence impact family systems? Respond to the question theoretically and then provide a minimum of two examples, without sharing names if they are personally known to you.
Topic 5 DQ 2
According to the “storm and stress” view of adolescence, sexual behavior is one way for adolescents to rebel against their parents. Our text suggests that research on adolescent sexuality may not support this. Why or why not?
2. What effect does vaping during pregnancy have on a developing fetus? Does eating too much sugar during pregnancy have an impact? There are many types of environmental influences on prenatal development. Some positive and others negative. In this discussion, choose one of the following categories to explore:
- Teratogens—substances taken or absorbed by the mother during pregnancy that produce fetal deformities.
- Nutrition—the impact of abundance or lack of sufficient supply.
- Stress—the impact of stress hormones on an infant’s neuroendocrine system. Discussion 1 Socio-Emotional Development
Using the assigned readings or other professional literature, describe and discuss one example of an environmental influence on prenatal development.
- What is the effect on a developing fetus?
- Does timing, dosage, or genetics play a part? Are there other factors?
3.This week we focused on cognitive and social-emotional development in early childhood and the processes that promote positive development as well as risk factors that negatively impact development. For this discussion, respond to one of the following discussion posts: APA Format
- Multiple theories exist that attempt to explain the processes related to early cognitive development. Select two theories and compare and contrast them. Consider and present evidence for ways they are supported and refuted in the literature.
- How might the development and differentiation of emotions during the first three years of life coincide with, or even contribute to, the development of milestones in other domains of development?
4.Research a behavior that represents risky behaviors as children emerge from middle childhood to adolescence. Discuss the individual, cultural, and environmental contexts that help professionals understand the emergence of specific behaviors. Discuss developmental theories that can help explain the adaptive and maladaptive aspects of those behaviors. Discussion 1 Socio-Emotional Development
5. This week we focused on development in adolescence. Adolescence marks a transition period from childhood to adulthood with important physical, emotional, and cognitive changes occurring. Peers and family each have a role in helping the adolescent develop their unique identity. For this discussion, respond to one of the following discussion posts.
- Describe the expected cognitive changes that are important in understanding adolescent development (e.g., changes in executive functioning, formal operational thinking, metacognitive thinking). Address differences in the development of these changes related to gender or culture that are discussed in the scholarly literature.
- Recent advances in brain research have provided important information about the development of an adolescent’s brain. Select a topic of interest (e.g., sleep, stress, etc) and discuss how that topic impacts adolescent brain development.
6. Middle adulthood is characterized by gains and losses. It is a time of senescing or growing down where health issues and declines in some types of cognitive functioning appear. It is also a time when there are opportunities for growth, adaptation, and change. What are termed age-graded changes relate to physical changes, cognitive changes, and life-course changes that progressively occur in one’s late 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s? Discussion 1 Socio-Emotional Development
History-graded changes that place individuals in cohorts based on their year of birth reflect the realities of the times. For this discussion, respond to one of the following discussion posts:
- Discuss Baltes’s theory on the gains and losses in middle adulthood. Choose one example, and elaborate on the processes of growth, maintenance, and regulation of loss that can be adaptive for development at this stage.
- Describe how age-graded changes and history-graded changes help to explain development during this stage. Be sure to provide examples of each type of change. Discussion 1 Socio-Emotional Development
7. People from multiple areas of psychology take this course which means that concepts related to lifespan development are and will be used in different ways. Think about your own specialization. What aspects of the theory and research related to lifespan development are most relevant to your own specialization? Are there any themes that emerged that are most meaningful for you? How can you apply this information to your current and future work? I am currently a program manager at an adolescent mental health facility.