Essential First Steps to Data Analysis
Essential First Steps to Data Analysis
#2 Identify two challenges that researchers planning to work with particular groups (such as elderly, children, individuals with disabilities, or seriously mentally ill people) might encounter. Why are there moral conundrums? What ethical research standards are at play here? How would you approach these conundrums when organising your study? To support your comments, be careful to cite appropriate sources.
TEXT for class: Read Chapters 1-3 of Essential First Steps to Data Analysis: Scenario-Based Examples Using SPSS, by Parke, from Sage Publications, Inc. (2013).
Note: all references for this class must be within the last 5 years and a warning from my teacher “This is a warning for everyone that if you use websites for your sources for your papers or discussion posts you will lose points.” use scholarly articles for everything I guess.
Write a two- to three- page analysis of your community and the existing programs for youth using the following guidelines: Essential First Steps to Data Analysis
- In support of your written analysis, and using your research from the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Fact Finder, Pew Research Center, and the National Center for Education Statistics, create a basic info-graphic picture of your community and embed it into your analysis as a chart supporting your written analysis. Your infographic and analysis should identify those statistics that have direct bearing on the 40 Developmental Assets identified by the Search Institute which can include, but are not limited to:
- Population demographics including ethnicity and special populations
- Economic status
- Housing and household demographics
- Youth-related issues that seem to be at the forefront of your community. Use specific examples to support your observations (newspaper headlines, community meetings, political platforms, etc.) and cite your text when appropriate.
- In support of your written analysis, create and embed a table that identifies the resources for young people that already exist in your community. Your table should include:
- Name of the program
- A short description of the program’s mission
- How the program engages with the youth they serve (Are they partners with adults?)
- Which of the 40 Developmental Assets the program focuses on or attempts to meet with their program.
Conclude your analysis by brainstorming ideas on how you can plug into one or more of the existing programs using the Asset Building Framework. Look specifically where you can make an impact in strengthening relationships within families, among peers, within schools and other institutions, in programs and outside of programs, and across generations.
Your analysis must be two- to three- pages in length (excluding title and reference pages), double spaced, and utilize APA formatting. References, charts, and tables should be properly cited. Your infographic and analysis will be used in your final paper and presentation. Essential First Steps to Data Analysis
Describe two dilemmas that counselor might face in attempting to plan research with special populations (e.g., seriously mentally ill, children, persons with disabilities, elderly, other members of a marginalized group of people). Why are the ethical dilemmas? What principles of ethical research are involved? How would you handle these dilemmas in planning your research? Be sure to include references to justify your responses.
Q2. Research is important in the field of counseling and psychology because it can help us to understand the profession, shed light on the theories and concepts, and to determine if the application of theories and concepts actually improve mental health. Research is the best mechanism for determining if something is effective and if so, what parts and why. Essential First Steps to Data Analysis
Write a 750-1,000-word paper about the importance of research in the field of counseling.
Include the following in your paper:
- The relationship between research and counseling
- The roles and responsibilities of researchers in the counseling profession
- At least two scholarly resources to support your paper
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.