Male circumcision Discussion
Male circumcision Discussion
Kindest Cut? Discussion #1
Please include references
Although it is less popular elsewhere in the world, male circumcision is one of the most common surgical procedures carried out there. There are many different justifications for the surgery, including religious practices, hygiene convictions, and health convictions. The United States is experiencing lower rates than in prior decades for a variety of reasons.
Apart from being painful (at least until recently), for such a common procedure little thought is given to it by many parents of male infants. What are your thoughts? Here are a couple of websites to get the conversation going in this discussion post topic (although feel free to find other sources) Male circumcision Discussion
http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/Pages/Newborn-Male-Circumcision.aspx (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
http://www.cps.ca/en/documents/position/circumcision (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
http://www.circinfo.net/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
http://nocirc.org/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
In complete sentences answer the following questions. Note the point value for each question and answer accordingly.
What is the difference between male and female circumcision? [2 pts]
Explain the four types of FGM. [6pts]
Do circumcision and FGM involve removal of erogenous tissue? Explain. 
For BOTH circumcision and FGM, explain each of the following justifications for the procedure. Provide brief details for each. [12 points]
Considering the reasons for circumcision in question 4 – what, if any, are acceptable reasons for male circumcision? [3 pts]
If you are/want to be a parent, would you consider circumcising your son(s)? Explain why. [2 pts] Male circumcision Discussion
Is circumcision performed with or without consent of the child, person or adult performed on? Explain [2 pts]
If circumcision and FGM are performed at consent/request of parent – Do you think a parent/guardian has the right to make this type of decision? Why or why not? [2pts]
Are circumcision and FGM performed by an adult who is circumcised? Explain [2 pts]
How are the effects of FGM minimized by those who support it? [what was said in the documentaries] [2 pts]
Under what conditions are circumcision and FGM performed? What kind of tools, anesthesia, professional, celebrations? Refer to the differences in the documentaries/videos and discussed in class. Discuss for each circumcision and FGM, be thorough and detailed. [6 pts]
What are the long term psychological, emotional and/or mental effects of circumcision and FGM? [3 pts]
What long-term physical harm or debility can be caused by circumcision and FGM? [sex, intimacy, childbirth, etc.] [3 pts]
What is one country where FGM is performed? Does this country have laws prohibiting FGM? What is being done to prevent FGM? [2}
Use the AHA Foundation (ahafoundation) https://www.theahafoundation.org/ to answer the following:
What are current views, opinions, concerns, ideas, statistics, etc. regarding female genital mutilation? Be thorough and detailed (if you need, you can also use other website information for this question) [6 pts]
What are the current strengths and weaknesses of anti-FGM legislation in the U.S.? [4 pts] Male circumcision Discussion
Explain three recommendations to end FGM in the U.S.? Do you think these would work here – explain why? [6 pts]
What are your personal views on FGM and male circumcision? [4 pts]
Choose an African cultural practice from the following:
- Bamasaba (Masaba) male circumcision (imbalu). Note: Alternate names for Bamasaba: Masaba, Gishu, Bagishu, Gisu, Bagisu. They live in Uganda.
- Widow cleansing and inheritance among the Luo of Kenya
- Bride Price in any African culture (or in several African cultures)
Review the cultural practice that you have chosen from a cultural relativist viewpoint. Be sure to do the following:
- Provide a description of the cultural practice
- Review the practice (provide an assessment or analysis of the practice, pointing out advantages and disadvantages. In your assessment, indicate whether the practice is pro-development, anti-development, or neutral. Can it potentially inhibit development?). Please feel free to use first person when necessary.
- Briefly discuss limitations of cultural relativism you encountered (if you did indeed encounter them). Note: I have provided you with some sources, but these are not the only ones. If you need more information, please consult other sources from the University of Toronto library, the web (e.g. Wikipedia, YouTube, etc.) Male circumcision Discussion
Some sources to get you started
- Bamasaba circumcision (Bamasaba imbalu)
Information can be found on some YouTube channels, websites such as the following:
Warning: Explicit content!
- Imbalu HIDEN TREASURES OF MASABA LAND Mbale Elgon Film’s Ltd https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DjThcmuubs (Links to an external site.)
- Imbalu ceremony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rU2pkZIfR0&t=25s (Links to an external site.)
3. Bagisu People: Uganda’s most fearsome patriarchal tribe and their Culturally unique Circumcision Ceremony
https://ugandatourismcenter.com/bagisu-people-ugandas-most-fearsome-patriarchal-tribe-and-their-culturally-unique-circumcision-ceremony/ (Links to an external site.)
- Widow cleansing and inheritance among the Luo in Kenya: a) Widow Inheritance: Throwing out the Baby With the Bath Water
https://www.theelephant.info/culture/2019/08/29/widow-inheritance-throwing-out-the-baby-with-the-bath-water/ (Links to an external site.)
b) Widow cleansing and inheritance among the Luo in Kenya: the need for additional women-centred HIV prevention options Male circumcision Discussion
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4074366/ (Links to an external site.)
- Bride Price: a) Lowes Sara and Nathan Nunn. 2018. Bride Price and the Well-Being of Women
https://oxford.universitypressscholarship.com/view/10.1093/oso/9780198829591.001.0001/oso-9780198829591-chapter-6 (Links to an external site.)
(Links to an external site.)b) What Price – Bride Price? Full documentary