Party Platforms And Winning Elections
Party Platforms And Winning Elections
For this paper, you will read the Democratic and Republican Party 2016 platforms and write a 500 word paper comparing the two.
You can read the party platforms online:
Democratic Party Platform: https://www.democrats.org/party-platform (Links to an external site.)
Republican Party Platform: https://www.gop.com/platform/ (Links to an external site.)
After reading both party platforms, write a 500 word paper addressing the following questions:
- What similarities and differences do you notice in comparing the Table of Contents of each platform?
- Choose one policy issue that both party platforms address and describe, compare and contrast each party’s position on that issue
- How would you describe each party’s vision for the future of the country, based on their party platform?
- Which party platform do you agree with most? Why? Is there anything in the other party’s platform that you agree with?
- What were you most surprised by in your reading of the two platforms? Party Platforms And Winning Elections
For this discussion, you will identify one issue area that you want investigate. Use the assigned resources below required for this discussion to gather information about the goals and proposals, in that issue area, of three political parties – the Democratic and Republican parties and a third party.
In your initial post of at least 200-250 words, summarize each of the three parties’ policy goals in your issue area. Compare and contrast the parties’ goals in that area. Evaluate each party’s goals from two perspectives:
- Your own political philosophy, values or ideology.
- How effective each party’s goals are likely to be in mobilizing voters to support the party’s candidates on the national level. In making your assessment from this perspective, consider what influence the factors which underlie the two-party system have on each party’s ability to use its policy proposals to generate voter support. Party Platforms And Winning Elections
Justify your conclusions with facts and persuasive reasoning.
Fully respond to all parts of the question. Write in your own words. Support your position with APA citations to two or more of the assigned resources required for this discussion. Please be sure that you demonstrate understanding of these resources, integrate them into your argument, and cite them properly.
Welcome to the first assignment!
This assignment is a take-home essay assignment of 2 questions, 3 pages each, to test knowledge and assimilation of the course objectives and assigned readings. Using only the readings from Weeks 1-3, please answer the following questions. Do not “research” the answer using outside sources. Focus on the lessons and readings from our course.
Question 1: Electoral interventions. There are different ways foreign powers can get involved in elections. On the one hand, there are malicious interferences (hacking, propaganda, bribery, etc). On the other hand, there are efforts to help with planned observations or monitoring. Party Platforms And Winning Elections
Using readings from Weeks 1-3, consider what types of foreign interventions into elections are harmful and what kinds can help ensure a legitimate and smooth process. For the latter side of the question, you might want to review the United Nations page on election monitoring: https://dppa.un.org/en/elections. Support your answer with illustrative examples and specific cases from the sources.
Question 2: Perceptions of Electoral Integrity or Fraud. How citizens perceive the electoral process is critical to their success and legitimacy. Using readings from Weeks 2-3, discuss factors that strengthen citizens’ confidence in electoral processes, as well as the factors that work to erode public confidence. Cite specific examples from the sources. Party Platforms And Winning Elections
Provide citations and references for all the consulted sources