Personality Disorder Fact or Fiction
Personality Disorder Fact or Fiction
Assignment 2: Personality Disorders—Fact or Fiction?
Personality disorders are serious mental health conditions characterized by long-lasting patterns of dysfunctional thinking, feeling, and behaving. Some experts claim that these conditions are not mental illnesses at all, but rather examples of unique personality types.
Examine your course readings and at least two scholarly sources to support or refute the claim that personality disorders should be included in the next edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). Be sure to provide credible studies on the causes, symptoms, and treatments of personality disorders to back up your claims.
Develop your position into a 2-3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources and include a cover page and reference page. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M4_A2.doc.
By Wednesday, October 1, 2014, deliver your assignment to the M4: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Developed a persuasive argument for or against the inclusion of personality disorders as a diagnostic category.||
|Discussed the causation, diagnosis, and treatment of personality disorders in support of the position chosen.||
|Supported statements with reasons and research information from your text and a minimum of two peer reviewed references.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||
These sources should inform your thinking and assist you in making a conclusion regarding the “truth” (i.e., scientific validity) of a commonly held belief. Write a paper in which you summarize (Links to an external site.) psychological theory and research that is pertinent to this topic. Personality Disorder Fact or Fiction
Click here for additional information on how to successfully summarize information from an article. The paper should appraise the evidence contained within your articles, supporting and/or contradicting the statement you have chosen to examine. Your task is to distinguish whether or not this commonly held belief accurately represents psychological knowledge of the topic and discuss your conclusions.
- If theory and research in psychology suggest that the statement is false (i.e., it is instead bubba or pop psychology), infer an alternative truth based on the literature.
- If the theory and research in psychology suggest that the statement is true, point out how the research supports the statement.
- Must be at least three to five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style (Links to an external site.)as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page (Links to an external site.) with the following:
- A header
- Title of paper Personality Disorder Fact or Fiction
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph (Links to an external site.) that has a succinct thesis statement (Links to an external site.).
- Must utilize academic voice (Links to an external site.).
- Must paraphrase (Links to an external site.) material, avoiding direct quotes.
- Minimal quotes are used within the writing. (No more than 2-3 sentences.). For more information about how to synthesize your writing, please visit the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must address the topic with critical thought.
- Must include an overall summary paragraph including the required elements. Personality Disorder Fact or Fiction
- Must use at least five peer-reviewed scholarly sources. Additional scholarly sources are encouraged. Be sure to integrate your research (Links to an external site.)smoothly rather than simply inserting it.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined here (Links to an external site.) and here (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate reference page (Links to an external site.) that is formatted according to APA style.
- Must be submitted to Grammarly (Links to an external site.) for review and correction prior to submitting. Personality Disorder Fact or Fiction