Psychosocial Theory and Diverse Groups Discussion Paper
Psychosocial Theory and Diverse Groups Discussion Paper
ORDER NOW FOR CUSTOMIZED AND ORIGINAL ESSAY PAPERS
There will be times when a social worker is presented with a case where they are not familiar with the surrounding psychosocial issues. Because social workers are on a continual journey in learning, it is important to read pertinent literature. This Discussion provides an opportunity to visit Walden Library and strengthen your skills in identifying and locating an empirical research article. Psychosocial Theory and Diverse Groups Discussion Paper
- Select one of these three groups: (1) an immigrant individual from a racial or ethnic minority group, (2) a gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT) individual, OR (3) an individual who is physically disabled.
- Review the Walden Library resources listed in the Learning Resources.
- Then conduct a library search for an empirical study focused on one of the groups above and the unique psychosocial factors or issues a social worker should be aware of when working with that group.
BY DAY 3
- Post the APA-style reference for the article you found in the library.
- Describe four specific psychosocial factors that should be taken into account in order to understand the psychosocial context when working with the group you selected. (Two of these factors should be psychologically related and two of these factors should be socially related).
- Identify and explain a psychosocial intervention that addresses one of the four specific psychosocial factors you described above.
- Identify 1 to 2 outcomes you might measure if you were to evaluate the effectiveness of the intervention.
- Evaluate one advantage of using a psychosocial framework in social work practice with the group you chose.
**Social Work Theory
Assignment: Application of Role Theory to a Case Study
This week, you will use role theory to apply to your chosen case study. In other words, your theoretical orientation—or lens—is role theory as you analyze the case study. Psychosocial Theory and Diverse Groups Discussion Paper
Use the same case study that you chose in Week 2. (Remember, you will be using this same case study throughout the entire course). Use the “Dissecting a Theory and Its Application to a Case Study” worksheet to help you dissect the theory. You do not need to submit this handout. It is a tool for you to use to dissect the theory, and then you can employ the information in the table to complete your assignment.
- Review and focus on the same case study that you used in Week 2.
- Review the websites and guides for developing PowerPoint skills found in the Learning Resources.
- Use Personal Capture to record the PPT slides on your screen and your audio as you present the information. You will then use Kaltura Media to upload this recording to the assignment link.
Submit a narrated PowerPoint presentation using Kaltura Media that includes 11 to 12 slides.
- Each slide should be written using bullet points, meaning no long paragraphs of written text should be in the slides.
- The recorded audio takes the place of any written paragraphs, while the bullet points provide context and cues for the audience to follow along).
Your presentation should address the following:
- Identify the presenting problem for the case study you selected. (Remember the presenting problem has to be framed from the perspective of role theory. For example, the presenting problem can be framed within the context of role functioning).
- Identify all the relevant roles assumed by the client.
- Analyze the social expectations and social and cultural norms revolving around the role, social position, and role scripts of one of the roles assumed by the client.
- Explain the role and social position of the social worker in working with the client in the case study.
- Describe how the role(s) and social position(s) assumed by the social worker will influence the relationship between the social worker and the client.
- Identify three assessment questions that are guided by role theory that you will ask the client to better understand the problem.
- Identify and describe two interventions that are aligned with the presenting problem and role theory.
- Identify one outcome that you would measure if you were to evaluate one of the interventions you would implement to determine if the intervention is effective.
- Evaluate one advantage and one limitation in using role theory in understanding the case.
Be sure to:
- Identify and correctly reference the case study you have chosen.
- Use literature to support your claims.
- Use APA formatting and style.
- Include the reference list on the last slide.
- Discussion 1: Attachment TheoryThe adolescent stage can be described as a time where there is a loss of innocence and a preentry into adulthood. A large part of being an adolescent is beginning that process of stepping out into the world and learning about oneself as a unique and autonomous individual. This movement out into the world is contingent upon the knowledge that this young person will have a safe and secure home to return to at the end of the day. If a traumatic loss or event has occurred in the adolescent’s life, there may be no safe base to which this individual can return. Attachment theory teaches us that a young person’s ability to attach/engage with peers, family, and other potential support systems is an important aspect of the developmental process. During the adolescent stage of development, assessing attachment styles is important because it provides a window into how the adolescent relates to others, which allows the clinician to choose the appropriate intervention.For this Discussion, choose either the program case study for the Bradley family or the course-specific case study for Brady.BY DAY 3Post an application of the attachment theory to the case of either Tiffani or Brady. Discuss the connection between his or her attachment style and the exhibiting behavior. Psychosocial Theory and Diverse Groups Discussion Paper
Support your posts with specific references to this week’s resources. Be sure to provide full APA citations for your references
Discussion 2: Developmental Stages
Understanding an adolescent’s behavior can be at times elusive and even frustrating. Due to the multiple aspects of the developmental tasks during these years, it can be at times quite challenging to clearly define the issue(s) at hand. Assessment during this stage will include an evaluation of whether an adolescent’s actions are indicative of unhealthy behavior or merely representative of being an adolescent. A comprehensive assessment that includes an evaluation of the client’s developmental stage is a priority when working with this age group.
For this Discussion, choose the opposite case from Discussion 1 and use Erikson’s developmental theory.
BY DAY 4
Post an assessment of whether the client is mastering the stage of identity. Identify the areas that should be addressed in an intervention based on his or her developmental stage. Describe how you might address those areas.
Support your posts with specific references to this week’s resources. Be sure to provide full APA citations for your references.
BY DAY 6
Respond to at least two colleagues who identified a different case and provide feedback on the client’s stage of development. Identify another area that should be addressed, based on developmental stage.
Support your responses with specific references to this week’s resources. Be sure to provide full APA citations for your references.