The Case for Treating Drug Addicts in Prison
The Case for Treating Drug Addicts in Prison
Carmichael, Mary. “The Case for Treating Drug Addicts in Prison.” Newsweek, 30 June 2010, www.newsweek.com/case-treating-drug-addicts-prison-73561.
“Alcohol and Drug Rehab Instead of Jail.” Luxury.Rehabs.com, American Addiction Centers, luxury.rehabs.com/alcohol-rehab/rehab-instead-of-jail/.
“Why Prison Doesn’t Rehabilitate Drug Addicts.” Kill the Heroin Epidemic Nationwide, 7 Dec. 2016, killtheheroinepidemicnationwide.org/2016/11/09/prison-doesnt-rehabilitate-drug-addicts/.
“Going To Drug Rehab As An Alternative To Jail Or Prison.” DrugRehab.org, 9 Apr. 2019, www.drugrehab.org/drug-rehab-alternative-jail-prison/.
“8 Major Problems with Drug Treatment in Prison.” The Fix, 3 Jan. 2019, www.thefix.com/problem-drug-treatment-prison.
Jakarta Post. “Should Drug Addicts Be Jailed or Rehabilitated?” The Jakarta Post, www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014/03/20/should-drug-addicts-be-jailed-or-rehabilitated.html.
Moglia, Paul. Addictions, Substance Abuse & Alcoholism. , 2018. Print.
Tiger, Rebecca. Judging Addicts: Drug Courts and Coercion in the Justice System. , 2012.
Voters Rejecting the War on Drugs Is a Win for Public Health (Links to an external site.) (also watch the video “Dr. Carl Hart Debunks Drug Myths” in the sidebar to the right of the article)
ACLU’s Plan to End Mass Incarceration (Links to an external site.)
Post your (and their) best argument for or against the decriminalization or legalization of cannabis and other drugs (commenting specifically on the Oregon initiative), and the ACLU’s plan for ending mass incarceration. As always, I am expecting you to make a well-researched and thoughtful contribution and to evaluate all arguments critically. (i.e., it is not sufficient to report what someone said and that you thought it made sense; you must cite facts and logical reasonings to support it.) The Case for Treating Drug Addicts in Prison
Then, I want you to engage with other students, by doing the same, calling out unsupported or fallacious arguments in their posts or providing additional evidence for other claims. Make this a lively discussion and “like” the posts by other students that you found most enlightening.
READ ME: need to have my current research summarized into one (two tops) VERY concise paragraph(s). I have attached my current rough draft of research.
For this assignment, you are asked to summarize your research findings into a condensed passage and submit it for publication in a public setting (no passwords or registration required to view your passage). While we hesitate to use the word “publication,” knowing that it might seem utterly terrifying to some, this should be a low-stakes way to get your thoughts out to the world to ponder. Additionally, doing this will provide you with another way you can present your ideas to others.
Below, you will find instruction noting where you might submit your entry for publication. If you have tried any of these before, pick a different option, as long as it entails *open publication for public viewing,* so you are doing something you have never done before. The Case for Treating Drug Addicts in Prison
Summarize the main points and conclusion of your Research Project in a minimum of one (1) concise paragraph. Publishers appreciate conciseness. Do NOT submit your entire Research Project. You may include one small visual, if appropriate for your publication environment.
Here are a few suggestions for you to consider for publication of your passage:
- Contribute your passage to a Wikipedia page related to your research topic. Just find an entry you feel relatively confident adding to, and go for it. Instructions on how to edit an entry are located on the main page of Wikipedia.
- Add a comment to an “active” blog dealing with the topic of your Research Project. Share a few of your research findings, and you may want to include some final thoughts about your research issues.
- Submit your passage as part of a letter to the editor of a magazine or a local newspaper, for example, as you deem appropriate. Many publications have details on how to submit on their sites. The Case for Treating Drug Addicts in Prison
After you submit your entry for *open publication for public viewing,* post the following information for this Discussion assignment:
- Identify where you submitted your work (name of organization).
- Post the actual passage you submitted for publication. Again, do NOT submit your entire Research Project.
- If you submitted to an online source, include a complete internet address that will take us directly to your entry (not to a home page, in other words), so we can view your entry easily.
And don’t worry if you don’t actually get published or if your Wiki addition gets changed, for example. This almost always happens to everyone at least a few times. The real success is taking that step to “go out on a limb” and put yourself “out there.” The Case for Treating Drug Addicts in Prison