GCU NUR-514 Topic 2 Professional Leadership Assignment Papers
GCU NUR-514 Topic 2 Professional Leadership Assignment Papers
- Differentiate between leadership and
- Analyze different leadership theories and
- Analyze characteristics of the professional nurse leader and nursing
- Evaluate leadership and management strategies within health care
- Discuss potential causes of conflict, principles of negotiation, and conflict resolution models and
Advanced Practice Nursing: Essential Knowledge for the Profession
Read Chapters 4 and 27 in Advanced Practice Nursing: Essential Knowledge for the Profession.
Leadership in Nursing Practice: Changing the Landscape of Health Care.
Read Chapters 2-4, 7, and 14 in Leadership in Nursing Practice: Changing the Landscape of Health Care.
Great Leaders Inspire Great Followership
Read “Great Leaders Inspire Great Followership,” by Cruz, from Leadership Excellence (2014).
Advancing the Nursing Profession Begins With Leadership
Read “Advancing the Nursing Profession Begins With Leadership,” by O’Neill, from Journal of Nursing Administration
From Trait to Transformation: The Evolution of Leadership Theories
Read “From Trait to Transformation: The Evolution of Leadership Theories,” by Johns and Moser, from Education
Nursing Leadership From Bedside to Boardroom: Opinion Leaders’ Perceptions
Read “Nursing Leadership From Bedside to Boardroom: Opinion Leaders’ Perceptions,” by Blizzard, Khoury, and McMurray (2015), located on the Campaign for Action website.
Leadership Styles: Choosing the Right Approach for the Situation
Read “Leadership Styles: Choosing the Right Approach for the Situation,” located on the Mind Tools website.
Transformational Leadership: Becoming an Inspirational Leader
Read “Transformational Leadership: Becoming an Inspirational Leader,” located on the Mind Tools website.
Servant Leadership: Putting Your Team First, and Yourself Second
Read “Servant Leadership: Putting Your Team First, and Yourself Second,” located on the Mind Tools website.
What Is the Difference Between Management and Leadership?
Read “What Is the Difference Between Management and Leadership?” by Murray (2014), located onThe Wall Street Journal website.
An Alternative Approach to Nurse Manager Leadership
Read “An Alternative Approach to Nurse Manager Leadership,” by Henriksen, from Nursing Management (2016).
Nurse Manager Skills Inventory
Complete the “Nurse Manager Skills Inventory,” by the Nurse Manager Leadership Partnership (NMLP), located on the HWE Resources page of the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN) website. The resource is located under the “Authentic Leadership” heading.
Leadership Style Reflective Essay Assignment Self-Assessment Resources
These resources will be used to complete the Leadership Style Reflective Essay assignment, due in this topic. Please refer to the assignment details for additional instructions.
- Emotional Intelligence Assessment: “Emotional Intelligence Test”: http://testyourself.psychtests.com/testid/3038
- Personality Tests: “Big Five Personality Test”: https://testyourself.psychtests.com/category/1
- Learning Styles Assessment: “The VARK Questionnaire: How Do I Learn Best?”: http://vark-learn.com/the-vark-questionnaire/
- Values Assessment: “Values Profile”: https://testyourself.psychtests.com/testid/3620
- Diversity Assessment: “Cultural Competence Self-Test”:
What Is Servant Leadership?
Explore the “What Is Servant Leadership?” page of the Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership website.
Grand Canyon University Initial Course Survey
In an effort for continuous improvement, Grand Canyon University would like you to take this opportunity to provide feedback about your experience with the university. Your participation is appreciated. Click on the link to begin the “Grand Canyon University Initial Course Survey.”
APA Assignment: Leadership Style Reflective Essay
The purpose of this assignment is to assist learners in developing effective communication by emphasizing the proper application of APA style. APA style is required for the graduate program.
Refer to the resources in the course materials and Student Success Center for assistance with APA. Use the APA Style Guide resource, located in the Student Success Center, to complete this assignment.
For this assignment, complete the following:
Self-awareness is essential for developing leadership skills. Recognizing your own strengths, weaknesses, and values, and understanding emotional intelligence and learning styles can help you to be a more effective nurse leader.
For this assignment, you have the opportunity to take a variety of self-assessments to learn more about yourself and identify your assets and weaknesses as a leader. This will assist you in discovering how you can improve your own self-leadership skills. You will be asked to think critically about your results and submit a reflection as directed below.
Refer to the study materials. Select and complete three self-assessments. Be sure to document the results of each assessment to assist you in completing the reflection portion of the assignment below.
Becoming self-aware is an ongoing process requiring introspection. The more often people practice self-reflection, the more opportunities they have to understand their own behaviors and adapt their approaches to working with other people, which can improve both your own and other’s abilities to meet their professional goals.
In a 1,000-1,250 word reflective essay, address the following:
- Provide a rationale and brief summary for selecting each self-assessment. Summarize the results you obtained on each assessment.
- Identify the leadership style that closely aligns to your philosophy of care and explain what appeals to you about that style.
- Reflect on how you might incorporate elements of that particular style as you exercise leadership in a practice or health care organization setting.
- Discuss any particular areas for improvement the assessments helped you identify and some steps for improving your leadership capabilities.
- Analyze the characteristics of an effective professional nurse leader, or individuals in nursing leadership. Discuss the characteristics and explain why they are effective for leadership in nursing.
- Analyze different leadership theories and leadership styles. Select one theory and leadership style, different from your own, and explain how they each support a professional nurse leader or individual in nursing leadership. Consider how the theory shapes the nurse leader in such things as collaboration, conflict resolution, decision making, and negotiation.
You are required to cite three to five sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and nursing content.
Complete the “APA Writing Checklist” to ensure that your paper adheres to APA style and formatting criteria and general guidelines for academic writing. Include the completed checklist as an appendix at the end of your paper.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Course Materials if you need assistance.
Topic 2 DQ 1
Differentiate between “leading” and “managing.” Based on your experience in the health care industry, explain how an advanced registered nurse can lead well and provide management. Share at least one strategy you have used to effectively lead and manage staff within health care organizations Consider interactions with patients, team members, daily tasks, and responsibilities as you formulate your response.
Topic 2 DQ 2
Discuss potential causes of conflict occurring within health care organizations. What are some principles of negotiation and conflict resolution used by the nurse leader to address conflict? What model or leadership theory would be effective to use in addressing conflict?
Topic 2 Participation