NUR 550 Topic 1 Quality Research And Theoretical Frameworks
NUR 550 Topic 1 Quality Research And Theoretical Frameworks
- Identify the different levels of translational
- Differentiate translational research from evidence-based
- Discuss the application of translational research to population health
- Evaluate sources of translational
- Select a valid nursing practice problem for an evidence-based practice project
Advanced Practice Nursing: Essential Knowledge for the Profession
Read Chapters 22 and 23 in Advanced Practice Nursing: Essential Knowledge for the Profession.
Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare
Read Chapter 1 in Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare.
World Health Organization (WHO)
Explore the World Health Organization (WHO) website.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Explore the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website.
State and County Departments of Health
Explore the websites of your state and county departments of health and access mortality and morbidity data. The link to the Arizona Department of Health Services website is provided, but students living in other states should access their county and state departments.
Non-Communicable Diseases (NCD) Burden of Disease
Read “Non-Communicable Diseases (NCD) Burden of Disease,” by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, located on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.
GCU Library: Nursing and Health Sciences Research Guide
Review the “Nursing and Health Sciences” research guide, located on the GCU Library website.
The Electronic Health Record: A Friend or Foe of Translational Research and Evidence-Based Practice?
Read “The Electronic Health Record: A Friend or Foe of Translational Research and Evidence-Based Practice?” by Chipps et al., from Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing (2019).
Read “Evidence-Based Practice” by Melnyk and Fineout-Overholt, from Encyclopedia of Nursing Research (2017).
Translation Research in Practice: An Introduction
Read “Translation Research in Practice: An Introduction,” by Titler, from Online Journal of Issues in Nursing (2018).
On Biostatistics and Clinical Trials: PICO, PICOTS, PICOTT Framework for Clinical Questions as a Way to Design Clinical Trials
Read “PICO, PICOTS, PICOTT Framework for Clinical Questions as a Way to Design Clinical Trials,” by Deng, from
On Biostatistics and Clinical Trials (2020).
Evidence-Based Practice Project Proposal: Identification of Nursing Practice Problem
Learners will select a valid nursing practice problem for an evidence-based practice project proposal. The project will be completed in sections, beginning in NUR-550 and culminating in a final written paper detailing the evidence-based practice proposal in NUR-590.
The purpose of this assignment is to select a relevant nursing practice problem for your evidence-based practice project proposal. To identify a relevant problem, consider problems generally faced in nursing practice (coordination of health care, assessment, education, patient
support, trauma prevention, recovery, health screenings, etc.). Use the “PICOT Draft” template to complete this assignment.
Use a national, state or local population health care database to research indicators of disparity. Choose a mortality/morbidity indicator to identify a clinical problem or issue that you want to explore pertaining to a population of focus. Use this indicator to begin to formulate a PICOT statement.
Refer to the “Evidence-Based Practice Project Proposal – Assignment Overview” document for an overview of the evidence-based practice project proposal assignments.
You are required to cite one peer-reviewed source to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and nursing content.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are not required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.
Topic 1 DQ 1
Identify the different levels of translational research. Explain how translational research is different from evidence-based practice and discuss application to population health management.
Topic 1 DQ 2
Using the GCU Library (notably the GCU Library: Nursing and Health Sciences Research Guide), find a database, journal, or other collection of resources that focuses on translational research. Select a population health problem or issue of interest from the available studies. What type of translational research is used for the study? Provide rationale as to why this is the best.
Topic 1 Participation
NUR-550 Course Objectives
In this course, the student will:
- Explore research articles, nursing and related theories, applying levels of evidence, and theoretical frameworks to identify quality research studies.
- Demonstrate understanding of scientific inquiry, knowledge generation, utilization, and dissemination in advanced nursing practice.
- Evaluate the evidence for potential solutions/innovations that can potentially solve a health care issue and improve patient outcomes.
- Identify gaps in nursing knowledge and evidence-based practice that can potentially be resolved by planning and implementing a practice change project.
- Formulate a clinically researchable question amenable to an innovative evidence-based practice change
- Write a scholarly literature review that supports a clinically researchable question amenable to an innovative evidence-based practice change proposal.
- Evaluate health policy and advocacy issues for the purpose of improving health care outcomes.
- Engage in scientific inquiry into the state of health care delivery, patient-centered care, and ethical principles related to health beliefs, health promotion, and risk reduction of diverse populations.
- Propose quality improvement initiatives that advance the delivery of safe, high-quality health care.
- Use principles from epidemiology, biostatistics, genetics, genomics, and cultural competence to guide comparisons of various patient populations.
APA Writing Style
APA Style is required for all writing assignments in this course, where indicated. Please prepare these assignments according to the APA Style Guide, located in the in the Student Success Center.