NURS 6501 Neurological and Musculoskeletal Systems Case Study Analysis
NURS 6501 Neurological and Musculoskeletal Systems Case Study Analysis
Module 5 Assignment: Case Study Analysis
Understanding the neurological and musculoskeletal systems is vital for disease and disorder diagnosis and therapy. This significance is heightened by the impact that these two systems can have on one another. A number of elements and events influencing the appearance and severity of problems in one system can also influence the performance of the other.
Effective analysis frequently necessitates an understanding that extends beyond these systems and their interdependence. Patient characteristics such as race and ethnicity, for example, can play a role.
Understanding the symptoms of neurological and musculoskeletal system changes is a vital step in diagnosis and treatment. This knowledge can also help APRNs educate patients and support them through their treatment strategies.
You will investigate a case study and assess the symptoms mentioned in this Assignment. You identify the aspects that could have a role in the diagnosis and explain
Assignment (1- to 2-page case study analysis)
In your Case Study Analysis related to the scenario provided, explain the following:
- Both the neurological and musculoskeletal pathophysiologic processes that would account for the patient presenting these symptoms.
- Any racial/ethnic variables that may impact physiological functioning.
- How these processes interact to affect the patient.
A 67-year-old man presents to the HCP with chief complaint of tremors in his arms. He also has noticed some tremors in his leg as well. The patient is accompanied by his son, who says that his father has become “stiff”, and it takes him much longer to perform simple tasks. The son also relates that his father needs help rising from his chair. Physical exam demonstrates tremors in the hands at rest and fingers exhibit “pill rolling” movement. The patient’s face is not mobile and exhibits a mask-like appearance.
His gait is uneven, and he shuffles when he walks and his head/neck, hips, and knees are flexed forward. He exhibits jerky or cogwheeling movement. The patient states that he has episodes of extreme sweating and flushing not associated with activity. Laboratory data unremarkable and the HCP has diagnosed the patient with Parkinson’s Disease.
Day 7 of Week 8
Submit your Case Study Analysis Assignment by Day 7 of Week 8.
Reminder: The College of Nursing requires that all papers submitted include a title page, introduction, summary, and references. The sample paper provided at the Walden Writing Center provides an example of those required elements (available at https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/templates). All papers submitted must use this formatting.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “M5Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name. NURS 6501 Neurological and Musculoskeletal Systems Case Study Analysis
- Click the Module 5 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Module 5 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “M5Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
Note: The below resources were first presented in Week 7. If you have previously reviewed them, you are encouraged to read or view them again here.
- McCance, K. L. & Huether, S. E. (2019). Pathophysiology: the biologic basis for disease in adults and children(8th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby/Elsevier.
- Chapter 15: Structure and Function of the Neurologic System
- Chapter 16: Pain, Temperature Regulation, Sleep, and Sensory Function (stop at Sleep); Summary Review
- Chapter 17: Alterations in Cognitive Systems, Cerebral Hemodynamics, and Motor Function (start at Acute confusional states and delirium) (stop at Alterations in neuromotor functions); (Parkinson’s Disease); Summary Review
- Chapter 18: Disorders of the Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems and the Neuromuscular Junction (stop at Degenerative disorders of the spine); (start at Cerebrovascular disorders) (stop at Tumors of the central nervous system); Summary Review
- Chapter 44: Structure and Function of the Musculoskeletal System (stop at Components of muscle function); Summary Review
- Chapter 45: Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function (stop at Bone tumors); (start at Disorders of joints); Summary Review
- Chapter 47: Structure, Function, and Disorders of the Integument (section on Lyme Disease)
- Chin, L. S. (2018). Spinal cord injuriesLinks to an external site.. Retrieved from https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/793582-overview#a4
- Module 5 Overview with Dr. Tara Harris
Dr. Tara Harris reviews the structure of Module 5 as well as the expectations for the module. Consider how you will manage your time as you review your media and Learning Resources throughout the module to prepare for your Knowledge Check and your Assignment. (3m)
- Khan Academy. (2019b). Ischemic strokeLinks to an external site.. Retrieved from https://www.khanacademy.org/science/health-and-medicine/circulatory-system-diseases/stroke/v/ischemic-stroke
Note: The approximate length of the media program is 8 minutes.
- org. (2019, June 12). Osteoporosis – causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, pathologyLinks to an external site.[Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUQ_tt_zJDo
Note: The approximate length of the media program is 9 minutes.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Develop a 1- to 2-page case study analysis, examining the patient symptoms presented in the case study. Be sure to address the following: Explain both the neurological and musculoskeletal pathophysiologic processes of why the patient presents these symptoms.||
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Explain how the highlighted processes interact to affect the patient.||
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Explain any racial/ethnic variables that may impact physiological functioning.||
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeWritten Expression and Formatting – Paragraph Development and Organization: Paragraphs make clear points that support well-developed ideas, flow logically, and demonstrate continuity of ideas. Sentences are carefully focused—neither long and rambling nor short and lacking substance. A clear and comprehensive purpose statement and introduction are provided that delineate all required criteria.||
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Written Expression and Formatting – English Writing Standards: Correct grammar, mechanics, and proper punctuation||
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Written Expression and Formatting – The paper follows correct APA format for title page, headings, font, spacing, margins, indentations, page numbers, parenthetical/in-text citations, and reference list.||
|Total Points: 100|