NUR550 Translational Research
NUR550 Translational Research
Identify at least one barrier that relates to challenges with population health. Consider how you could employ translational research to potentially overcome this barrier. Identify the best type of translational research to address this barrier, and provide rationale for the type you have chosen. What would be the challenges of using this type? What strategies would you employ to provide an understanding of your chosen type of translational research and to gather collaborative support?
Topic 1: Quality Research and Theoretical Frameworks
- Identify the different levels of translational
- Differentiate translational research from evidence-based
- Discuss the application of translational research to population health
- Evaluate sources of translational
- Select a valid nursing practice problem for an evidence-based practice project
Advanced Practice Nursing: Essential Knowledge for the Profession
Read Chapters 22 and 23 in Advanced Practice Nursing: Essential Knowledge for the Profession.
Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare
Read Chapter 1 in Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare.
World Health Organization (WHO)
Explore the World Health Organization (WHO) website.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Explore the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website.
State and County Departments of Health
Explore the websites of your state and county departments of health and access mortality and morbidity data. The link to the Arizona Department of Health Services website is provided, but students living in other states should access their county and state departments.
For additional information, the following is recommended:
Grammarly is an online writing assistance application that reviews written submissions and suggests context-specific corrections for grammar, spelling, word usage, wordiness, style, punctuation, and plagiarism. The reasoning for each suggested correction is provided, allowing users to make informed decisions about how to correct writing issues.
Grammarly can be installed as free browser extension, though Grammarly Premium requires an annual subscription. This subscription is not a GCU-required purchase.
NUR-550 Course Objectives
In this course, the student will:
- Explore research articles, nursing and related theories, applying levels of evidence, and theoretical frameworks to identify quality research studies.
- Demonstrate understanding of scientific inquiry, knowledge generation, utilization, and dissemination in advanced nursing practice.
- Evaluate the evidence for potential solutions/innovations that can potentially solve a health care issue and improve patient outcomes.
- Identify gaps in nursing knowledge and evidence-based practice that can potentially be resolved by planning and implementing a practice change project.
- Formulate a clinically researchable question amenable to an innovative evidence-based practice change
- Write a scholarly literature review that supports a clinically researchable question amenable to an innovative evidence-based practice change proposal.
- Evaluate health policy and advocacy issues for the purpose of improving health care outcomes.
- Engage in scientific inquiry into the state of health care delivery, patient-centered care, and ethical principles related to health beliefs, health promotion, and risk reduction of diverse populations.
- Propose quality improvement initiatives that advance the delivery of safe, high-quality health care.
- Use principles from epidemiology, biostatistics, genetics, genomics, and cultural competence to guide comparisons of various patient populations.
APA Writing Style
APA Style is required for all writing assignments in this course, where indicated. Please prepare these assignments according to the APA Style Guide, located in the in the Student Success Center.
You may want to consider purchasing a copy of the APA style guide, as this will be a useful resource throughout your program